First page Back Continue Last page Graphics
Persistent Identifier (PID)
Why is the PID important?
- An essential technology to preserve “referential integrity”.
- Approximately 41% or the URLs referenced in Computer and CACM journals in the period 1995-1999 were inaccessible in 2002 (Spinellis, 2003)
What is it?
- An identifier that is technology and protocol independent and is mapped to a URL.
- Example: The historic newspaper “The Poultryman”
- The handle for an issue is 1782.1/poultryman.6.39
- URL access: http://hdl.rutgers.edu/1782.1/poultryman.6.39
CNRI Handle System (http://www.handle.net)
- For assigning, managing and resolving persistent identifiers
- Managed by the Corporation for National Research Initiatives